Thursday, December 1, 2011

Brain Damage




 I should really start researching directors I like in the horror genre, because I'm a bit tired of running across stuff that I really should have heard of or seen before and wondering why I haven't. Granted it is kinda fun to be surprised by movies that I didn't know existed, but it makes me feel a bit uninformed as well.....But I digress, we aren't here to talk about my horror film knowledge shortcomings, we are here to talk about Frank Henenlotter's superbly bizarre, bloody and hilarious Brain Damage, so let us do that.

  If you didn't know already Henenlotter is the genius behind cult splatter faves such as the Basketcase trilogy, Frankenhooker, and more recently Bad Biology. While his film resume isn't the longest, it houses a good chunk of timeless, genre defining gems. And this movie, despite my lack of prior knowledge to its existence, fits right in to that mould.

  The story revolves around a young fellow who makes a mutually beneficial arrangement with a disembodied brain/alien named Aylmer who happens to very closely in sight and sound resemble a piece of excrement. The deal is that Aylmer will supply the main character "Brian" with intravenous brain altering drugs via some sort of gland he possesses, and Brian in return provides him with a means of transportation to get to his victims, of whom he sucks the brains from. The story is bizarre, as is the way with most of Henenlotter's films, but it works on so many levels. It seems to almost be a parody of the anti drug propaganda of the 80's, but I could be wrong. The acting is campy, but i wouldn't have it any other way. With films like these, to take the acting seriously is almost a disservice.

   This film also wins on the visual front, with that classic eighties filming style and general look that so many classic horror films have won their fans over with. And the gore is just as good, not Henelotters messiest piece of work, but not lacking in any way. Plenty of turd looking brain on brain action, to be certain.

   So, while I may be a little late to the party on this one, I'm hoping some of you are as well. because if you call yourself a fan of horror this is a must see......hopefully you have all got a friend like mine with an expansive VHS who'll let ya watch it, cause that's the best format by far watch this winner on.



tastelessness 6.5/10
gore 6.5/10
must-see-ness 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment